We are looking for experience Level 3 Materials & Process Engineers to join us on building the road to space.In this role
you will be responsible for estimating/creating concepts, initial designs, procuring major tooling, jigs, and fixtures. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment. You will support Tooling/GSE development for "Future Production Systems" of spacecraft and launch vehicles throughout the design phase and into low-rate initial production as part of the New Production Introduction (NPI) group.Tasks will include
conceptual design, cost estimating, schedule estimating, and requirements definition. You will work in a cross-functional team role with manufacturing engineering, facilities engineering, and project management functions.Responsibilities Will Include
- Identify critical Tooling/GSE required for the assembly, integration, and test of flight hardware
- Develop Tooling/GSE concepts, Concept of Operations (CONOPS) and perform initial sizing and proof of concept design
- Create cost and schedule estimates to inform the Integrated Master Schedule and provide updates during task execution
- Provide recommendations to Manufacturing Engineers, support Build & Flow development and manufacturing development needs
- Generate requirements and Interface Control Models (ICMs) for Tooling/GSE and the facility
- Perform trades with vehicle level and subsystem to design for manufacturing and operation
- Write performance specifications, fabrication specifications, acceptance & test plans, maintenance plans, and Statement of Works for GSE & tooling projects that enable production
- Be the technical focal of procurement of Tooling/GSE (Request for Proposal, Vendor selection, Design, Build, and Commissioning) while collaborating with RE’s (Responsible Engineers) and Project Managers to develop and execute procurement packages
- Follow procured tools onto the floor and be the technical point of contact during development builds.
- Passion for Blue Origin’s mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- B.S./B.A. degree in mechanical, structural, civil, or aerospace engineering
- Experience with Design for Manufacture/Integration principles
- Mechanical design experience using CAD (Creo/Windchill or CATIA preferred), hand calculations and FEA (ANSYS preferred) tools.
- Experience managing suppliers during design, procurement and build cycles of multi-million $ tooling and related components.
- Background in development, construction, and installation of complex structural and mechanical systems (e.g. launch vehicle GSE, aerospace tooling, oil/gas, movable structures, spacecraft mechanical systems, lifting fixtures, etc).
- Understanding of mechanical and structural systems analysis methods and failure modes.
- Broad experience in hardware manufacturing: assembly, integration, instrumentation, cleaning, non-destructive testing, leak testing, final acceptance testing of integrated hardware, fabrication, machining, etc.
- Experience with configuration management, requirements management processes, requirements change processes, risk management processes
- Experience in prioritizing hardware procurement and fabrication and communicating these priorities to the team
- Proven ability building trusting and effective working relationships that improve team performance and deliver results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Strong digital literacy (MS Office, MS Project, MS Visio, and Agile Management tools such as Jira, Confluence or AirTable) .
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Export Control Regulations
- Familiar with ASME Y14 series specifications including ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Familiarity with PLC and motion control systems
- Familiarity with hazardous operations
- Familiarity with pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Familiar with engineering organizations such as ASME, AISC, ASCE, AWS, OSHA, NFPA, NIST, ANSI, UL; and their applicable standards.
- Experience with Build/Flow creation and driving a product from concept to completion
- Proven record in a wide variety of hardware fabrication including but not limited to: machining, welding, assembly, bonding/adhesives, composite fab, test support, critical lifts
- Hands on experience with building hardware
- Experience across multiple portions of the product life cycle of spacecraft, launch-vehicle, or high-performance aircraft systems
- Experience with Primavera (P6), DOORS, CREO, CATIA, Windchill, Jules, Coupa
- Project Management certification (PMP®/Certified Project Manager)
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.Benefits
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays