As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will support Blue Origin’s launch vehicle programs. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of additively manufactured spaceflight and supporting hardware, continuous improvement, and process development. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
The Additive Manufacturing (AM) Engineer, Materials role will support the characterization and qualification of additively manufactured polymeric & composite materials, and processes for use in space-flight and ground-based aerospace applications.
Primarily, the successful candidate will have a strong familiarization with polymer material science, material qualification, and test plan methodology, as well as a thorough understanding of general aerospace requirements. Likewise, the successful candidate will have a high degree of comfort when dealing with immature processes, undeveloped test standards, and little basis to inform decision-making.Responsibilities
- Support qualification of AM materials, equipment, and processes.
- Develop processes, requirements, and specifications for AM materials.
- Support test campaigns for AM processes, and materials.
- Aide in root-cause analysis.
- Aide efforts to increase quality objectives, and productivity, through methodical and regular continuous improvement efforts.
- Help inform new technology acquisitions and AM research activities.
- Aide in the creation of AM Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Develop and provide requirements for material-handling operations.
- Support the maintenance and authorship of AM material databases.
- Engage with new and existing material suppliers to develop and oversee supplier requirements, and influence external research activities.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to ensure AM specification conformance.
- Help define and standardize part acceptance processes and requirements.
- Support new technology, material, and machine research activities.
- Periodic material literature review and industry engagement.
- Completion of a four-year degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
- 2 years of experience working with polymeric additive manufacturing.
- 3 years of experience developing and/or executing test plans for analysis and qualification of process and materials.
- An attitude of world-class quality, attention to detail, and dedication.
- Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, and with humility.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Export Control Regulations
- 2 years of experience with AM process development.
- High degree of knowledge in at least one polymeric additive manufacturing technology.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience operating various AM machines and related post-processing equipment.
- Experience drafting and releasing Standard Operating Procedures.
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.Benefits
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays