SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.OPERATIONS AUTOMATION ENGINEER (STARLINK)
As an Operations Automation Engineer, you will be responsible for developing the tools and processes for operating and scaling the Starlink network to millions of users around the globe. You will work with operators, subsystem responsible engineers, software engineers, guidance navigation and control engineers, and network engineers to develop alerts, mitigations, and upgrades to orbital and terrestrial assets and core Starlink algorithms. Through continuous improvement, you will automate the rapid detection, characterization, and mitigation of network anomalies to the point of minimal manual intervention.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build and maintain mission-critical infrastructure, tools, processes, and custom software
- Deploy, operate, upgrade, and scale global internet service to millions of users
- Measure, preserve, and improve the uptime and performance of the Starlink network
- Closely collaborate across engineering disciplines to create highly operable and maintainable infrastructure
- Lead technical investigations of orbital and terrestrial anomalies
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers and regularly participate in code reviews
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, physics, or STEM field; or 3+ years of professional experience in object-oriented programming in lieu of a degree
- 1+ years professional development experience in an object-oriented programming language (internship experience is acceptable)
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements
- 2+ years of operations, automation, DevOps, or site reliability engineering experience
- Experience with developing and deploying tools used for data analysis
- Ability to take on projects that require taking initiative and developing new expertise
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, unit testing, and documenting custom software
- Full stack development experience
- Must be available for on-call rotation
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.