Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.Team
The Manufacturing Engineering team at Relativity Space pulls together the efforts of design, additive, vehicle, and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. To meet our goals, we will drive the product from design concept through the build to structural qualification, ensuring the team can move fast while still producing high quality, well understood products. The Structures Manufacturing Engineers will be responsible for working alongside the Additive Development team to create the largest 3D printed structures in the world, while also leading the charge on assembly into Integration-ready structures assemblies. The scope of work includes: Printed assembly design for manufacturing, build flow planning, large-scale part logistics, tooling design & conceptualizing, post-processing, fast-paced issue dispositions, trim/drill operations, joining operations, and mechanical assembly operations planning and execution.What You’ll Do
What You Need To Know
- Work through the first development builds of large-scale primary assemblies, starting from the large scale 3D printers, through assembly and on to structures test
- Support the shop floor through live issue resolution and provide upstream feedback as we innovate the next generation of manufacturing technology
- Monitor large scale part movements and ensure safety as well as clear and concise direction
- Provide Design for Manufacturing feedback to both the additive and structures teams as the designs are generated and through the first builds upstream
- Develop strong working relationships with both Engineering and Additive Development teams to ensure all company objectives can be met
- Facilitate and perform the design and creation of primary assembly tooling that ensures exacting requirements are met across the vehicle, while trying to innovate ways of removing tooling all-together utilizing the 3D printing process!
- Generate the build order, schedule, and coming up with creative ways to stay on track
- Generate work instructions, specifications, and best practices across multiple high fidelity processes
- Assist with developing the business tools and processes that will be used to manufacture the first launch vehicle. In parallel, help to define and pilot the long-term ERP, MES, and QMS solutions that will enable high-quality, efficient vehicle manufacturing
- Leverage software and automation to rapidly build hardware while maintaining an accurate record of the as-planned and as-built configurations
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering degree and have 3+ years of related experience, ideally in an aerospace or automotive manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated experience working cross-functionally to build large scope first article assemblies, resolve complex manufacturing issues, and meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset toward simple design solutions, quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. You’re a tinkerer but also a self-starter who can balance and prioritize daily tasks that contribute to short and long term company goals.
Nice To Haves But Not Required
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of experience building hardware in a manufacturing environment
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions to build structural assemblies
- Experience with design for manufacture and building a first article assembly
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: welding, machining, trim and drill operations, LOX cleanliness, mechanical fastening and torqueing operations, mating operations, lifting, tool design and fab, NDT, subassembly build, etc
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team
- New product introduction of a complex hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success
- Experience developing user interfaces for manufacturing execution
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.