SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS PRODUCTION MANAGER (PCBA & ELECTRO-MECHANICAL ASSEMBLY)
As the Avionics Production Manager for PCBA and electro-mechanical assembly, you will ensure that electronic assemblies for our launch and manned spaceflight vehicles are produced with the highest levels of quality, on time, every time. You will be involved in all aspects of production including facilities planning, staffing, leadership development, new product introduction and process improvements to ensure your team's success and growth as SpaceX drives to revolutionize access to space. Additionally, you will provide inputs to engineering teams regarding area capability and design for manufacturability.
- Manage a team up to 4 supervisors and 50+ technicians on a 2-shift structure
- Implement a development program to enhance the capability of all team members while improving quality and reducing lead time and cost
- Ensure a strong focus is placed on safety and maintain an excellent safety record
- Champion continuous improvement projects using appropriate metrics and data sources
- Continually monitor and improve the quality output of the manufacturing team by playing a leading role in identifying and resolving root causes for quality issues
- Manage resource levels to ensure optimum schedule execution and performance of the team
- Monitor and communicate area status/readiness and risks to leadership
- Monitor and maintain compliance to internal quality and customer contractual requirements
- Foster strong relationships with all supporting teams (design engineering, automation team, supply chain, integration customers, etc.) and build partnerships where required to achieve mutual success
- Collaborate with engineering partners to ensure product development meets the goals of product manufacturability
- Review work instructions and make change recommendations when needed to improve processes
- Meet tight schedules to achieve high rate production, while adapting to changing priorities in a fast-moving environment
- Think creatively; question the status quo while following documentation and maintaining prescribed quality standard
- Implement machine maintenance schedules and back-up spares availability to ensure uptime and output capability
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, industrial, aerospace, electrical or manufacturing engineering or 5+ years of leadership experience
- 5+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing environment working within a recognized quality system (e.g. AS9100, ISO9001)
- Experience with ERP systems, work order creation/management and BOM structures
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated professional experience building and leading teams of highly skilled technicians in a fast paced, high technology field
- Experience stabilizing manufacturing processes to improve quality and efficiency as part of a cross-functional team
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace or automotive industries
- Demonstrated capability to solve complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Experience with end-to-end printed circuit board fabrication and assembly, with strong understanding of soldering (SMT & through hole) and post processing manufacturing processes
- Working experience with IPC-A-610 and J-STD-001 manufacturing for Class 3 products
- Experience and/or certification with statistical process control such as Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma
- Working proficiency with DFMEA and PFMEA methodology and implementation
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) across all levels of a manufacturing organization
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing work assignments in a fast-paced production environment
- Working experience with root cause analysis, preferably using industry best practice techniques such as 8D and 5 why
- Experience monitoring, tracking and continually improving the total cost of unit production
- Hands-on leader with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best team
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs. unassisted
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed. Up to 10% travel
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.