Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic UX Developer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?SUMMARY:
Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic User Experience Developer who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Avionics Software team in the development of user interfaces for ground control systems and onboard the space station. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about space, enjoys problem solving and has experience delivering applications using common frontend languages. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
Duties & Responsibilities
- Produces, maintains, and modifies user interfaces in accordance with user and system requirements.
- Ensures delivered applications are accessible across many platforms and operating systems.
- Writes applications that are compliant with ADA requirements (Section 508 and WCAG accessibility standards).
- Works within the Agile process.
- Works with engineers to provide guidance and recommendations on design for manufacturability.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or related field required
- 5+ years’ experience in frontend programming, web application development, or similar role
- 4+ years developing modular and maintainable code
- 4+ years working with CSS pre-processor such as SASS or LESS
- 4+ years working with web standards, CSS-driven layouts, and a good understanding of the DOM
- Experience with source/version control like BitBucket, Github, or AzureDevOps
- Prior experience working in an agile environment is a plus
- Hands-on experience working with high-fidelity designs, wireframes, and clickable prototypes a plus
- URL samples and/or a web project portfolio explaining your role in the projects
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.Requirements
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Understanding of design for scalability, performance, and reliability
- Skills in translating functional requirement documents into UI coded applications
- Eye for intelligent UIUX design, passion for clean code development with notation
- Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
- Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
- Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
- Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
- Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
- Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
- Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment