Want to build a space station? Interested in being on the innovative team who builds this?
As our Sr. Systems Engineer, you will be intimately involved in the early development of the propulsion systems designed to support our space habitat development. Your work will directly affect the design of the propulsion systems for the commercial space vehicles used for people living and working in space. How cool is that?
At Sierra Space, we envision a future where humanity lives and works in space, on moons, and on distant planets. Sierra Space builds and delivers the future of space transportation, destinations and infrastructure, offering “space-as-a-service” in support of the new space economy.
Become part of our team developing the first independent commercial space station. This space station is based on our expandable LIFE
TM habitat, serviced by Dream Chaser
® spaceplane, and will provide the facilities and services for commercial research, manufacturing and tourism.
Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin and Durham, North Carolina, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra SpaceMust-haves:
- Bachelor's of Science degree in System Engineering or related discipline and typically 10 or more years of relevant experience. Experience may be considered in lieu of Education. Higher education may be considered in lieu of experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
- Thorough understanding of requirements management, functional requirements parsing, derivation, and allocation; systems design, systems integration, technical risk identification and management strategies, and Verification and Validation (V&V) principles
- Demonstrated knowledge of rocket propulsion principles
- Experience in space propulsion system architecture development
- Experience on human rated space systems
- Experience with Project Management activities such as schedule development, task planning, and program plan development
- Experience in, or knowledge of Reliability and Maintainability analysis and products, including but not limited to Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Probabilistic Risk Assessment (PSA), reliability prediction, reliability allocation, maintainability analysis, etc.
- Experience in, or knowledge of System Safety Engineering analysis and products, including but not limited to fault tree analysis, hazard analysis, and computer based control system (CBCS) analysis, etc.
- Experience with fault tree analysis tools, e.g. CAFTA or SAPHIRE
- Advanced Experience with requirements management and system modelling tools, such as DOORS, Rhapsody, NoMagic, MATLAB
- Knowledge of industry standard mechanical design principles, to include, but not limited to requirements management, Model Based System Engineering (MBSE)
- Background in the Aerospace and Defense Industry
- Experience leading baseline definition and maturation in a complex development setting, including the use of high impact trade studies and other measures
- Thorough understanding of establishing and tracking key Technical Performance Measurements (TPM)
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required. Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars.
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $117,040.88 - $160,931.20
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
As COVID-19 continues to significantly impact our employees, families and communities, we are taking action to address the increased risk and uncertainty COVID-19 and associated variants pose in the workplace. SNC is committed to supporting our employees while ensuring we continue to meet essential national security needs of our country.
With employee health and safety as our top priority, and as a federal contractor, SNC will continue to require COVID-19 vaccination status for all employees including new hires. In accordance with applicable requirements, all current and newly hired employees who are unvaccinated may be required to adhere to enhanced onsite safety protocols including weekly COVID-19 testing, face coverings, and social distancing.
The status of applicable COVID-19 vaccination requirements are subject to change depending on applicable court orders and the course of ongoing litigation. Candidates may later be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or have an approved exemption.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.