Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.Manufacturing Engineer Avionics, Manager
As the Manufacturing Engineer Avionics, Manager for Rocket Lab’s Avionics programs, you’ll play a pivotal role in technology development and platform development for high performance missions for Space Systems, Electron, and Neutron products/customers. You will need to maintain and expand a high performing team to strongly collaborate with the development team and take complete ownership of the product development, manufacturing and testing programs.The Ideal Candidate Will
Key Responsibilities Include
- Have a successful track record coaching, mentoring, and developing engineers with different levels of experience
- Have expert capability to execute projects for product, process and equipment manufacturing improvements including the design, build, commissioning and production hand-off
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve avionics processes through strong working knowledge of EEE piece parts, PCB, PCBA, electromechanical assembly, tooling, test, and quality techniques.
- Have expert knowledge in manufacturing processes for space systems, avionics and aerospace materials including but not limited to soldering, cleaning, solar panel production, vibration testing, thermal testing, RF testing, radiation testing.
- Have performed root cause and corrective action projects and PFMEA / DFMEA of complex manufacturing processes and products
Design For Manufacture
- Coach, mentor and develop engineers to achieve new heights in their careers.
- Perform weekly, quarterly and yearly reviews with their direct employees
- Interview and hire candidates to fill new roles
- Create team goals and metrics to drive continuous improvement projects
- Lead/organize meetings as necessary to drive project completion
Process, Tooling & Equipment
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacture, design for test, productivity, supplier capability assessments, quality control, etc.
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions as related to Space Systems products and Electron/Neutron Avionics.
- Provide Engineering support for day-to-day production processes
- Complete analysis and identify improvements for production safety, quality, delivery and cost
- Develop production processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented, including testing procedures, health and safety requirements and supervisor sign-offs.
- Design, develop, and implement tooling and equipment for use in a production environment where appropriate to improve quality, delivery and/or cost performance
- When required, lead problem containment and structured root cause & corrective action investigations
- Quickly analyze and resolve manufacturing discrepancies and non-conformances
- Interface with the quality team to resolve manufacturing engineering quality responsibilities
- Liaise between production, quality, supply chain and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes
Required Experience & Education
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume requirements including preparation of business cases
- Lead the continuous improvement process in your area using lean tools and techniques such as 5S
- Introduce automation where appropriate and ensure equipment data links directly to MRP and quality systems
- Identify risks and improvements to develop the manufacturing engineering department to meet company needs
- Develop and mentor less experienced engineers and technicians daily
- 4-year engineering degree (Preferably Electrical, or Aerospace)
- 7+ years’ of experience in a satellite/avionics design, development, manufacturing and test environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships
- A highly organized and proactive approach to your work
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status