ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
SES is looking for a talented Spacecraft Engineer to join an international team of Engineers responsible for the health and monitoring of the spacecraft attitude control, data handling and propulsion subsystems across the SES fleet of GEO and MEO satellites.
In this role, you will become part of an EU and US based team that is at the forefront of providing engineering and operations support to the full satellite lifecycle, from new satellite procurement through launch, orbit raising operations, on-orbit operations, and re-orbit. This position is ideal for a recent graduate who has a strong understanding and interest in spacecraft dynamics and control topics, spacecraft avionics, and use of MATLAB or Python for coding solutions to enhance our spacecraft performance monitoring and analytics toolkits. Over time, each team member builds a custom skillset and expertise, across a wide technical breadth, to make an impacting contribution to the success of our spacecraft missions.
This position is based Virginia (US). Eligible applicants to the US based location must be a US Citizen, a Green Card Holder or who can otherwise meet federal export-control authorization requirements.
- Provide spacecraft attitude dynamics and control, propulsion, and data handling operational expertise to operations of the SES satellite fleet. This will include training to provide 24/7 real-time on-call support to our Satellite Operations Centers. You will train as part of a team across multiple satellites operated by SES such as from Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed, MAXAR, Northrop Grumman, Thales.
- Monitor the on-orbit satellites to verify performance, identify any degradation trend, anticipate evolution scenarios, and take appropriate action. This will involve developing and/or maintaining software tools for evaluating and trending health to maximize satellite availability and longevity. This may involve interfacing with the satellite manufacturer to ensure anomalous data investigation follow up, root cause analysis review and mitigation action implementation.
- Provide remote or local support to new satellite construction programs, such as attendance to unit reviews, design reviews, orbit raising operations, and support to the development of the ground software and products required for satellite operations. This will involve building relations to work effectively across departments internally and externally with the satellite manufacturers.
- Contribute to a continuous effort to manage more effectively and efficiently satellite in orbit operations, such as improving process, operational procedures, monitoring, and data analysis.
- Contribute to an effort to make use of machine learning and analytics to further automate execution of operations, identify out of family performance and help diagnose anomalies.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- 1 to 3 years applicable professional experience in satellite engineering and/or operations are desired, but not mandatory. New Graduate applications are welcome.
- A Master’s Degree, or higher, in (Space) Engineering, with a specialization in aerospace or dynamics and control system theory and application.
- Proficiency with MATLAB and/or Python programming language are required. Additional courses or knowledge in Computer or Data Science are beneficial.
- A willingness to work and build presence within a team that includes remote management and team members situated at multiple SES sites. Requires a strong sense of initiative and a self-starter attitude.
- Commitment to deadlines and willingness to meet the needs of a 24x7 on-call environment, which can require out of hours support and response under pressure. A valid driver license is essential for on-call support.
Good To Know
- Flexible working policy
- Bonus and equity plans
- Comprehensive and competitive benefits plans
- Access to Microsoft Azure training suite
- A range of wellness activities and employee assistance programmes (varies by location)
- An employer that values all aspects of Diversity and respects every individual’s story
SES is an Equal Opportunity employer, committed to workplace diversity & inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law.