Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.Team
Relativity seeks a highly talented Principal/Staff Components Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the Turbomachinery & Components organization. We are responsible for designing, manufacturing, and testing turbopumps, valves, and dynamic components for the Aeon-1 and Aeon-R engines. This position will provide outstanding leadership and technical contribution to the development of the Terran 1 and Terran R launch vehicles, as well as helping to build a world-class team.What You’ll Do
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to guide engineers in clean-sheet product design, manufacturing methods, assembly, and testing. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to propulsion components. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for:
What You Need To Know
- Someone with a successful track record developing clean-sheet propulsion valves in-house.
- Someone with a deep understanding of engineering design, manufacturing, and supply chain management as it applies to propulsion components.
- Someone with a strong design background and a demonstrated ability collaborate cross-functionally to ensure our valves meet all aspects of the intended design, with a focus towards manufacturability and integration.
- Someone who understands CNC machining, dimensional inspection, and testing procedures, and can collaborate with stakeholders to minimize processing times.
- Someone with experience building strong teams and leading projects, directly and cross-functionally.
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
Nice To Haves But Not Required
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated history of successfully developing propulsion components with cradle-to-grave ownership.
- Strong knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack-up analysis.
- Knowledge of analytical methods necessary to validate clean-sheet valve designs using ANSYS or comparable software.
- Strong communication skills, and ability to convey deep technical concepts to broad audiences.
- Past experience with flight termination system testing for propulsion valves, including shock and vibration.
- Deep knowledge of valve assembly procedures, including press fits, clearance checks, structural proofing, and leak checks
- Knowledge of powder-bed additive manufacturing
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally with multiple department leaders to drive projects to closure.
- Ability to think and operate both tactically and strategically.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 10+ years of relevant experience
- Experience leading integrated teams
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.