Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.Why Rocket Lab?
From missions to the Moon & Mars, to looking for life on Venus, Rocket Lab has opened up a solar system of possibilities for innovation, exploration and infrastructure in space to make for a better world down here on Earth. At Rocket Lab, our employees have a once in a lifetime opportunity to work on cutting edge projects and leave their footprint in history.
Rocket Lab has vertically integrated to become the world's leading end-to-end space company. From space software, separation systems, solar panels, reaction wheels, and in-house 3D engine builds, anything that goes to space will have a Rocket Lab logo on it.
With our Electron rocket and Photon spacecraft, we’ve simplified space, making it easy and affordable to get your ideas to orbit. And with the development of our re-usable rocket, Neutron, we will have the capabilities for mega constellation deployment, high value payloads, deep-space missions and human spaceflight come 2024.
Rocket Lab has the only private orbital launch site in the world. The satellites we build and launch are enabling innovation and exploration, they’re keeping countries connected and borders protected, they're monitoring weather and managing waste, they're providing insights on climate change, and helping us manage resources for future generations.Senior Additive Manufacturing Engineer - Simulation
Based at Rocket Lab's new headquarters in Long Beach, California the Senior Additive Manufacturing Engineeris responsible for leading development of various Additive technologies (DED, Hybrid Solutions, & LPBF) with various alloys. This role will support all Additive processes involved with the Rutherford & Archimedes engines. You will support the Manager of Additive Manufacturing and Production Additive Manufacturing organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.Process Development
What you'll get to do:
Design For Additive Manufacturing
- Expert in DED process simulation – Capable of creating tailored toolpaths that account for thermal distortion and stresses.
- Proven ability cladding dissimilar materials via means of DED.
- Develop printing parameters for various metallic alloys using a variety of printing methods (DED & LPBF; monolithic & graded alloys).
- Create new and improve existing print programs.
- Provide engineering support for the day to day Additive Manufacturing operations.
- Work closely with downstream support functions to ensure print geometries are can be effectively post processed.
You’ll Bring These Qualifications
- Act as a subject matter expert of AM ; provide critical feedback during the DfAM process.
- Work closely with / train Design & Manufacturing Engineers to design for specific types of Additive Manufacturing. Effectively communicate why specific aspects of DfAM are necessary.
These Qualifications Would Be Nice To Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical, aerospace, manufacturing engineering, or equivalent.
- Directly relevant experience from prior employment with metal Additive Manufacturing (5+ years)
- Experience in multiple metal Additive Manufacturing disciplines (LPBF, DED, Binder Jet, Hybrid AM/CNC, MIM, Casting, etc.)
- Experience defining thermal post processes to target / optimize mechanical properties.
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, and quality.
- Expert in DfAM
- Experience modeling in Siemens NX or SolidWorks
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision in a timely manner.
- A strong work ethic and capable of performing under pressure
- Strong ability to provide and clearly articulate technical direction
- Master’s Degree in Material Science, Additive Manufacturing or equivalent.
- 7+ years experience in Additive Manufacturing process development.
- Bi-metallic / functionally graded printing development experience.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status