About The Company
Interstellar Lab designs and builds systems to help life thrive on Earth and expand in space. It specializes in developing environment-controlled pods and systems that create ideal conditions for plants to grow on Earth, in LEO, on the Moon, and on Mars. Its solutions are used from sustainable farming and biodiversity conservation on Earth to astronaut life-support and food production in space. It was founded in September 2018 by entrepreneur Barbara Belvisi and now encompasses a team of over 30 engineers, scientists, and designers dedicating their time to helping life become multi-planetary.
Interstellar Lab is currently located in Paris, Los Angeles, Cape Canaveral, and Houston. We are constantly on the lookout for people passionate about aerospace, environmental science, sustainability, and cutting-edge technology.
About The Role
In collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team composed of plant scientists, engineers, architects, and material scientists, you will research and develop innovative intelligent algorithms to autonomize plant growth inside Interstellar Lab controlled-environment modules, starting first with BioPod.
With your hacker mentality, you can understand, adapt and tackle intelligence at all stack levels of our modules from the lower-level adaptative control, to crop selection, and scheduling, to higher-level monitoring and predictive maintenance. You are not afraid by the word optimization and you are a software product lover who is ready to deliver value along our product's journey from Earth to Mars.
- Improve the plant growth prediction model
- Improve our crop selection and scheduling algorithm/product
- Improve, develop, and deploy cutting-edge machine learning algorithms for system automation and control based on sensor data
- Develop computer vision solutions for predictive maintenance and for monitoring crop health
- Investigate and develop algorithms for future indoor farming technologies
- Constantly keep track of the latest advances in AI (articles, blog posts, conferences…)
- Help to document and communicate the AI vision and ethics of the company (cf. AI safety)
- Contribute to applied research papers in conferences in our domain of expertise
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or relative technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Good experience in software design with python, from research to product, or a more general-purpose language like Go, MATLAB, C/C++
- Experience and good mathematical understanding of:
- Full professional proficiency in English. French is optional
- Passionate and curious about space technologies, green technologies, artificial intelligence and/or neurosciences
- Deep drive for solving tomorrow's humanity challenges
- Strong learning capacity, adaptation and communication skills
- Emotional intelligence with empathy
- Pedagogical and willing to share knowledge with other fields
- MS degree or PHD in Computer science, Robotics, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Neurosciences or Robotics
- 5 years+ experience in designing, developing and deploying deep learning, reinforcement learning or innovative machine learning models
- Experience in applying AI to combinatorial problems
- We would love to see experience with AI applied to robotics and mechatronics
- We would love to see experience with AI applied to sensor data and system automation
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.