About The Company
Interstellar Lab designs and builds systems to help life thrive on Earth and expand in space. It specializes in developing environment-controlled pods and systems that create ideal conditions for plants to grow on Earth, in LEO, on the Moon, and on Mars. Its solutions are used from sustainable farming and biodiversity conservation on Earth to astronaut life-support and food production in space. It was founded in September 2018 by entrepreneur Barbara Belvisi and now encompasses a team of over 30 engineers, scientists, and designers dedicating their time to helping life become multi-planetary.
Interstellar Lab is currently located in Paris, Los Angeles, Cape Canaveral, and Houston. We are constantly on the lookout for people passionate about aerospace, environmental science, sustainability, and cutting-edge technology.
About The Role
As the Fertigation Specialist, you will join our controlled-environment agriculture team and work closely with the Plant scientists and R&D team. This role is for you if you are a world-class plant scientist or research-oriented grower who provides vision and technical leadership, embraces the complexity of biological systems, and has a hunger to understand our biosphere and planetary science at a fundamental level. You also are driven to deliver solutions for food production systems and sustainable indoor crop cultivation on Earth and in the future in Space. You are passionate about plants and believe there is a way for technology and ancient agriculture wisdom to work together. We are hiring a Fertigation Specialist in order to build upon our fertigation roadmap and to design and build our new chemistry lab. You will manage experiments at Interstellar Lab's crops research center.
- Design and execution of experiments under controlled environment to improve plant nutrient uptake and fertigation recipes
- Contribute to and implement Interstellar Lab fertigation research strategic roadmap
- Build the new Interstellar Lab Chemistry Lab and develop standard operating procedures in order to support plant research activity
- Define standards, frameworks, and tools for research and development and testing
- Collaborate with engineering teams for plant nutrition-related product design and requirements
- QualificationsMSc degree in relevant field (Horticulture, Plant Sciences, agricultural engineering, or related discipline)
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Experience working with indoor farming systems
- Practical knowledge of a diverse range of irrigation systems and a strong knowledge of chemistry and plant nutrition
- Knowledge and experience with controlled environment production systems
- Ability to "think like plants" — to look at plant production in a holistic manner and identify what plants want, using both data analysis and hands-on interaction
- Data-driven and analytic skills (statistics → R)
- Excellent communication skills, flexibility, and empathy
- Ability to supervise a project:
- Organize and initiate actions to a project under constraints
- Set up a simple, regular, and efficient workflow on projects
- Reporting of progress at the right frequency, and access to information.
- Actively participate in product development by communicating and identifying risks (across the plant team and hardware and software teams)
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.